These were our discussion questions about Matthew 7:21-23 this morning in my men’s group. â€œWhat Does It Take to Enter the Kingdom of Heaven?â€
1) Jesus envisions conversations that will take place â€œon that day.â€ What is the day about which Jesus is speaking?
2) What role does Jesus envision for himself â€œon that day?â€ How does that affect your view of and relationship with him?
3) What sums up â€œthe will of my Father in heavenâ€ which one must do in order to enter heaven? How do you make sense of the messages that we are saved by the work of Christ on our behalf and that we are saved by doing the will of the Father in heaven? Are these not contradictory statements?
4) To prophesy, cast out demons, and do many mighty works in Jesusâ€™ name seems like a strong, spiritual pedigree. Why would Jesus reject anyone who has done these kinds of works in his name?
5) What then do you think Jesus means by his response to such people, â€œI never knew you; depart from me, you workers of iniquityâ€¦â€?
6) What do you anticipate you will say â€œon that dayâ€ when you stand before Jesus?