Why Does God Allow Pain and Suffering?
These are resources for our Sunday School class on April 22, 2018, focusing on lesson 3 of “The 7 Big Questions” series by ExploringGod.com.
- Did you identify with anyone’s expressed views in the film? If so, who and what resonated with you?
- Was it surprising to learn that the top question people would ask God is, “Why is there pain and suffering in the world?” What would be some of the questions you’d ask God?
- In what ways can you identify with any of the stories in The Curiosity Collective? What did you find intriguing or compelling?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how difficult is it for you to reconcile the existence of both suffering and God (1 = easy; 10 = impossible)? Why?
- One of the Pulse speakers noted, “Some of the best lessons I’ve learned in life . . . came from very painful times.” In what ways might good come from bad? Do you have any experience with this?
- If there’s a God, why do you think he allows evil in the world?
- In the video, what did you think of James’s suggestion that God “understands our suffering . . . [and] is seeking to heal it”?
Recommended videos and resources related to our topic today include:
- Video: What Is the Reason for Suffering? (5 min)
- Video: What Is God’s Role in Pain and Suffering? (3 min)
- Book: The Problem of Pain by C. S. Lewis
- Book: Evil and the Justice of God by N. T. Wright
A wealth of additional resources relating to the topics of pain and suffering are available on the ExploringGod.com website.